How to Make Crayon Cupcakes & Candy Bars
Imaginative Crafts, Do-It-Yourself Projects and Video Tutorials by Robert Mahar, robert-mahar.com
SUBSCRIBE to Robert’s YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/CraftedWithRobertMahar
Used or new crayons
Silicone cupcake mold*
Silicone candy bar mold**
*Online source for silicone cupcake mold: http://www.amazon.com/ALEX%C2%AE-Toys-Make-Cupcake-Crayons/dp/B006WCN9D0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401389391&sr=8-1&keywords=crayon+cupcakes
**Online source for silicone candy bar mold: http://www.amazon.com/Freshware-CB-607BR-Break-Apart-Chocolate-Silicone/dp/B00CBGPPTC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1401389444&sr=8-3&keywords=silicone+candy+bar
1) Gather together your choice of used or new crayons. Remove the paper labels, either peeling them by hand or an adult can create a cut down the length of the wrapper using a craft knife and remove it all in one piece.
2) Next break the crayons down into small pieces. Again, you can do this by hand or an adult can use a craft knife to slice the crayon into small bits.
3) Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees F.
4) Take your crayons pieces and fill your molds all the way to the top and then add a little extra. As the wax melts it will fill in all of the spaces and shrink down into the molds.
5) Place your molds on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place into hot oven and set your timer for 8 minutes. At the 8 minute mark, check to see if all of the wax has melted – if not, give it another minute or two. When the wax is completely melted, remove the tray from the oven and allow the wax to sit and cool completely. If you find that that wax has melted and filled the molds all the way to the upper edge, you may want to consider just turning off your oven and allowing the wax to cool inside – without moving it. This will prevent the hot wax from spilling over the sides of the mold.
6) Once the wax has completely cooled and hardened, press gently on the underside of the mold to release your new crayons.
7) To adhere the cupcake frosting pieces to the cake pieces, just use a small dab of white glue and allow to dry.
8) A fun way to present the crayon candy bars is to wrap them in aluminum foil, like an actual candy bar, and then create a simple paper wrapper. Write the recipient’s name on the exterior, wrap it around the crayon candy bar and tape it in place.
- These fun crayons make great gifts when paired with a coloring book! They also make excellent party favors.