Dry organic compost
Jute twine (optional)
Mason jars (optional)
*Source for air-dry clay: http://www.dickblick.com/products/cra…
1. The basic formula for creating seed capsules is 5 parts air-dry clay to 3 parts compost to 1 part seeds. Following this formula you can create as large or small of a batch as you’d like.
2. Begin by adding the air-dry clay to your mixing bowl. To this add your compost and your seeds and then knead these ingredients together until they’re well combined.
3. Break off small pieces of the mixture and roll into balls approximately 1 to 2 inches in diameter. Set them aside on a flat surface (I used a parchment covered baking sheet) and allow them to dry for about two days or until dry and hard.
4. You can easily create quirky party favors by wrapping individual seed capsules in circles of fabric and tying them with jute twine. Or create thoughtful gifts by packaging multiple seed capsules in a clear glass mason jar — wrapping a circle of fabric over the lid and securing it with jute twine.
• Select seeds that are native to the area you live in! Whether vegetable or flower seeds, choosing native seeds will heighten the chances that they will germinate and grow.